Preparing for Diocesan Convention Next Week
[THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 12] We are looking forward to being with your at our virtual Diocesan Convention next Friday. Our diocesan team and IT consultants have worked hard to make sure everything goes smoothly on Nov. 20. Attached are four documents for your review: the Order of Business, the Site Location Assignments, the Nomination Summary and General Convention Constitutional Amendments. We will share the Convention Booklet early next week. Please note the following:
- On Thursday November 19, you will receive an email with COVID questions (do you have a fever, have you been in close proximity to anyone who has recently tested positive for COVID, etc.). Please answer these questions before next Friday morning.
- Remember to bring your mask next Friday. You will not be allowed inside the host sites without a mask.
- Remember to bring an electronic device which is fully charged next Friday for voting. There aren’t enough outlets at the host sites for all voting delegates to charge their devices.
- If you want paper copies of any documents (Order of Business or Convention Book), please print them and bring them with you. No paper copies of documents will be available at host sites.
- Please check the diocesan convention page on our website at www.episwtn.org for up-to-date information about convention.
- Registration will begin at 12 noon next Friday at each host site. Boxed lunches will be provided. You will either eat the lunches outside or in your vehicles as we don’t have sufficient space at the host sites to eat them indoors.
- An orientation and overview of the voting process will take place at 12:30 pm next Friday. We ask that you be seated and ready to participate in this session by 12:30 pm.
- If you registered as an alternate, only show up in person next Friday if you are replacing a voting delegate who is unable to attend. Otherwise, alternates can observe the proceedings via the diocesan Facebook page or YouTube channel.
ABOUT THE CONVENTION
This year’s Diocesan Convention will be held via virtual teleconference due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We thank the Reverend Sandy Webb and the Church of the Holy Communion for their willingness to host the Convention prior to the changes necessitated by the current health crises.
The virtual Convention will only cover the items required by our Diocesan governing documents:
– voting to fill diocesan offices and other positions;
– passage of the 2021 budgets for the Diocese and St. Columba;
– and an address by the Bishop.
Given the abbreviated timeframe for this year’s Convention, we ask that you hold any resolutions until next year’s Convention.
All active canonically resident clergy and lay delegates must register to fully participate at Convention. Several congregations throughout the Diocese have agreed to serve as host sites for Convention. Each Faith Community and clergy person who is retired, non-stipendiary, non-parochial and licensed to officiate will be informed of the host site to which they have been assigned.
You must go to your assigned host site to be able to fully participate. We will observe social distancing and will require all participants to wear masks inside the venue. Persons can also register as guests which will enable them to observe the proceedings via the Diocesan YouTube page or Facebook. Guests will not be able to participate or vote.
There is no registration fee for Convention. Meals will not be provided, so please eat lunch before arriving and bring snacks. Also, all lay delegates and canonically resident clergy will need an electronic device with access to the internet to vote (for example, a smart phone, laptop, iPad or tablet). There will be only a few electronic devices at each host site for voting purposes. A lay delegate or canonically resident member of the clergy will be able to vote only at the host site to which he or she is assigned; there will be no remote voting.
The deadline for registration forms and nomination forms is October 15, 2020. Nominations received by October 15 will be published in the Convention notebook. Please continue to check the Diocesan website for Convention updates.