Providing a safe place is essential to the fulfillment of the Church’s Mission of reconciliation. One of the outward and visible signs of that safety is the care with which we screen, call and employ suitable persons to carry out this ministry.
All applications, fingerprinting, and reference checks must be conducted PRIOR to the beginning of service in the Diocese, any parish/mission, or Episcopal School.
WHO must be fingerprinted:
- Clergy (full and part time, canonically resident, licensed or supply)
- All Church employees over the age of 18 years old (regardless of the number hours worked) including, St. Columba. All employees under the age of 18 years old will be required to complete a background check using a form which includes a release signed by a parent or guardian. An employee is anyone who receives a paycheck or is regularly remunerated.
- Volunteer youth ministry leader (for churches that do not employ one)
- School teachers and other employees of an Episcopal school
- Daycare workers
- Nursery workers
- Mothers’/Parents’ Day Out workers
- Volunteer coaches for any Parish/Mission or Episcopal school
All records of fingerprinting will be maintained in the Diocesan office and where the person serves. Access to the records will be limited and only individuals with a need to know the results of the background screen will be provided access.
Persons fingerprinted will not be required to be fingerprinted again for as long as they are continuously employed or volunteer.
STEPS for Fingerprinting. Please complete all steps.
- Parish Admins should add the person to be fingerprinted to alert the Diocese by CLICKING HERE.
- Read instructions for making an appointment for fingerprinting by CLICKING ON THIS LINK.
- Complete an application of employment (click here) or an application designed for volunteers (click here) on the approved forms.
- A waiver from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation must be signed and returned to the diocesan office electronically to Canon Chip Davis at email@example.com. No fingerprint results will be provided until the Waiver is received. The Diocesan Office will return the results of the fingerprint record. Please continue to complete the Alert Form.
CLICK HERE FOR WAIVER
- Check all references of the individual before beginning any work or volunteer activities.If an employee or volunteer, in connection with their responsibilities in the Church, will be involved in any way in the finances of the organization for which they volunteer or will be employed, they will undergo a credit check using the background check release form (statutory credit check release form). If the employee will be driving any vehicle as a part of their responsibilities, a driving record check will be conducted using the background check release form (click here for form). The Diocese requires that all background checks and applications should be placed in an employee’s personnel file and maintained for all volunteers.
This memorandum applies to any entity that operates on any property under the authority of the Bishop of West Tennessee and employs anyone in any of the above listed categories.
Questions? Please contact Canon Chip Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-937-4782.