The Diocesan Archives, the official repository for the records of The Diocese of West Tennessee, is located in the Moody Wing of St. Mary’s Cathedral. Under the direction of diocesan historiographer and archivist Patricia LaPointe McFarland, the chief function of the archives is to serve the information needs of the Bishop and staff, as well as clergy and parishes. While the Diocesan Archives are not a general public research facility, requests for information may be addressed to email@example.com. For information on The Episcopal Church Archives, visit http://www.episcopalarchives.org.
Resources to Congregations
The Diocesan Journal of Convention contains a wealth of information about the Diocese, the Bishop and congregations during the year preceding the convention. Annual journals are available beginning in 1829 and contain statistics on parish membership and sacraments, the annual address of the Bishop to convention, the Bishop’s diary, and listings of clergy, convention delegates, and members of diocesan committees and organizations. (Journals contain information on the entire state of Tennessee until to 1984, when West Tennessee published its first journal following its founding as a separate diocese in 1982.)
Annual parochial reports are available from 1984 until the present.
The former monthly diocesan newspaper, Church News, contains information about congregations, organizations and individuals. These are indexed by date beginning with the first issue on January 1986. These are available to review in hard copy with the archivist. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional resources on caring for and maintaining parish archives can be found at: